Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Mabaruma

We are now in Mabaruma. We flew in Saturday morning. I took our two barrels to the boat on Thursday. I had figured on doing it Friday, but Gary mentioned that Thursday worked better for him. As it was, when we got to the dock, I was told I would have to check with a man in another office to see if he would accept the cargo. So we walked to the next office and were told they were still accepting barrels. We left the first one and went to pick up the second. When we got back to the dock, we noticed a sign at the gate that said they were not accepting any more cargo for the boat, so it’s good I didn’t wait another day. Friday I took the bike and a large 12 volt battery I had bought for Matthew’s Ridge to the branch. I had planned on leaving it with Solo to bring on the boat with him, but Thursday evening I got a call from them and they were concerned with the security of the bike where they were staying so they spoke with the branch and got permission to leave it there until they take it to the boat.

Friday evening we packed everything back up. We put much of the heavier items in one suitcase which a brother from ‘town will bring with him on the boat. Since he is just coming for a short visit to Mabaruma (he will return on the next boat) he doesn’t have much luggage of his own. That will save us a nice piece of change since we would have to pay about 50 cents a pound to take it on the plane, and I’m sure the suitcase weighed close to a hundred pounds, but he will be able to bring it free with him.

So now we are in Mabaruma waiting for the boat to arrive so we can gather up everything for the next leg of our journey up the river to Kaituma. I have been inquiring into a boat to take all our things up. I spoke to a speedboat driver who said he could take everything, but he wanted $35,000 GYD ($175 US). It seems there is a bigger boat which will take it for about $10,000 GYD, but he travels up to Kaituma on Tuesdays and our things won’t arrive until Wednesday. So as of now it looks like we will be here for another week. I’m sure the brothers here won’t mind an extra helper for another week. I would feel worse, but I know that Stephan has three other brothers with him at the Ridge now, so another week won’t be that big of a deal.

This is the first time we have been in Guyana in September, so while this is our fourth time in Mabaruma, I am seeing things I have never seen here before . One of them is lightning. In all the time we have been here before we would once in a great while hear distant thunder. Today I saw the flash of lightning and less than three seconds later hear a sharp clap of thunder. The rain was welcome since all three tanks at the front house were empty. Now after a couple of days with afternoon thunder storms the tanks are full. Which is timely since three sister from ‘town are coming to stay with Rasheeda for a couple of weeks. There is also lots of yellow flowers on some of the trees here. The rubber trees that line the road through Compound are dropping nuts onto the roadway, so the road is covered with these broken shells. Something I have never seen, since we have never been here this time of year. Oh yeah, by the way, it is hot!!! Today I was sitting talking to someone and the sweat was just dripping off my arms.

I haven't taken many pictures and for some reason The ones that I had picked, mainly as filler won't post up. I got word from Gary today that everything got on the boat without incident today, so that's another hurtle cleared. I will try to another post before we leave Mabaruma.

We are fine and hopefully the same is true of you.