Monday, January 12, 2009

Still Raining


The work continues on here on all fronts. Last Wednesday I went on a return visit that I had been putting off. When you have about all the studies you can handle, return visits are less pressing. But I had wanted to go back on this one. Stephan and I went. This time I met the man. He mentioned he spent a lot of his time in the backdam, but since it has been raining so much, they had shut that operation down. He mentioned that they had to use almost a drum of fuel just to pump the water out so they could start their gold work, so they decided to wait until things dried out a little. So he will be around for a couple of weeks. While we were talking, his wife came, who had been the one I had spoken to before. We had a nice discussion. He said he was going to come Sunday. He walked us back out to the main track and as we were walking away, he called out to ask when he could expect us to come back. I remarked to Stephan how different it was to have people asking you when you would come back, instead of trying to get someone to commit to having you come back.A couple of weeks ago Doris mentioned a man at the door had expressed an interest in having someone study with him, so Wednesday we were working in that territory so I stopped and spoke with him, asking when would be a good time to come visit him. He said Saturday afternoon. So today I went by and had a first study. He can read quite well, so that’s a real plus. He seemed to enjoy the study, and said he’d read over the lesson before next week. So it looks like I have another study (#15).There is always work of a physical kind to be done as well. Thursday I took out the old shelves that had been used to keep our literature and magazines on, and built some new ones. I built it out of a local wood here called purpleheart, for its very deep purple color. I had the wood cut recently, so it still is quite wet. Therefore, I cut everything and put it together with screws. In the future when it has dried more, I will take it apart and put a nice finish on it so as to show off its natural beauty. But in the meantime, we are able to have a nicer looking Kingdom Hall. I have built a desk and bookshelf in our apartment using the same wood and same approach. I am in the middle of building a dresser as well.While the changes in the length of day aren’t as pronounced as it is farther north, it is nice that it is noticeable that the days are staying light a little longer, and we actually had a day of no rain a couple of days ago. So there is hope that rainy season won’t last forever. However I don’t expect I get much sympathy from all of you who are in the throes of winter. But be assured, this too will pass.This week’s picture comes from a meeting for service. I just figure all the ‘Need Greaters’ are shown (except for Krystal who’s taking the picture), so people back home can see we’re all still alive and healthy.