Monday, March 23, 2009

Frustrations


Another week, but not a lot new to report on. This was another Kaituma week, and while I was there I had hoped to take care of some other business. Since I will be here until the end of May or the first of June, I have to do something about my income tax. Last year I had been able to file them online for free, since my income was so low. I had figured on doing the same this year. However we don’t have a reliable internet connection here. And even if I get a good connection when I go to do emails, my battery would run out before I could complete the job. So I decided that I would spend the night in Kaituma where I could have my computer plugged in while I was online. I also figured I would see about making my travel reservations for our return to the states.As so often happens here in Guyana, things don’t work as you planned. The internet connection kept dropping out, so I wasn’t able to complete anything. Plus the one airline site said that they weren’t accepting internet reservations from Guyana, arrangement would have to be made through their travel office in Georgetown. The ministry in the bush is outstanding, but trying to do what would seem like simple tasks can be very frustrating.On a positive note, Eugene’s son was using Eugene’s detector in the backdam, and found a nice piece of gold, so Eugene and Mary now have the funds to travel to the Special Assembly Day in Mabaruma next month. While I was in Kaituma, I spoke to a man I had studied with when I was in Kaituma four years ago. He owns some boats, so I asked him about providing transportation to Mabaruma. He gave a very favorable price. I encouraged him to be the one to drive the boat, so he could come to the program himself. He said he was going to try to do that.In years past, the group had traveled to Kaituma the day before, stayed at the Kingdom Hall, and then gone to Mabaruma early the next morning. But there is no longer a Kingdom Hall in Kaituma, so I had suggested arranging transportation from the Ridge very early in the morning, so as to reach Kaituma about dawn, and then go directly to the SAD. A number expressed concern that by the time they reached Mabaruma, they would end up sleeping through most of the program. Plus after my recent reminder of how things work (or more accurately, don’t work) here, Planning something that tight, didn’t seem like that good of an idea either.So now I think the plan will be to travel down to Kaituma the day before and let everyone make their own arrangements for lodging. Most have relatives or friends there, so it shouldn’t add that much of an expense to the trip. We had a little meeting recently with those interested/planning on going. I think there were about a dozen. Adding that to those from Kaituma who are planning on going could make for more than will fit in a boat. In fact afterwards, Eugene approached me and asked what we would do if we had too many for the boat. I assured him that Jehovah would make things clear as to how to get everyone there.I have started something new for me. One of the studies I recently started, Junior, can’t read, but he seems really motivated, so I have started trying to teach him to read and write. As I mentioned this is my first attempt, so we are in a sense learning together. I know Terri has found it very rewarding to be able to teach ones to read. Her current class is making good progress, this week she had them reading a scripture from the bible for themselves. She is starting to plan on a little graduation ceremony for them before she leaves. She already has some who have asked to be in her next class when we return.This week’s picture is of our newest student on the school. She is Letisha Scott, Sonia’s next sister. As you can see, Terri gets all the rookies.