Monday, April 6, 2009

God keeps making it grow


The Memorial invitation work has progressed well here. We only have a few houses left to do here in the Ridge. Thursday, Stephan and I took Eugene and Sonia with us to Arakaka to distribute the invitations there. We did all of Arakaka as well as the road from the junction to Arakaka.Last Wednesday when I was in Kaituma, I learned that permission had been given to use the Community Center for the Memorial there. Some brothers will travel up from Mabaruma to hold that. While I was there, I had gone to the school to talk to Sherwin’s sister, Shonettte, about some of the details of the arrangements. I went after school was finished, and I walked into the schoolyard and asked a student if he would go in to see if Miss Shonette was still there, and if so, to ask her to come out. After I finished, I was walking out of the yard, and I heard someone calling me. I looked over and saw a man standing in a guard house. I hadn’t noticed it when I went in, and I figured I was going to get a talking to about not checking with them before entering. I prepared myself to be appropriately apologetic. The man asked me if I was one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. I told him I was, and he then asked me if I had any magazines I could give him, he really enjoyed reading them. So I was happy to give him some. As I was leaving Kaituma, I passed the toll station and a man came out to raise toll barrier to let me pass. As I drove past him I heard him ask for papers. The first time I had gone past the toll station this year, the man there had then asked me for my receipt. At the time I had no idea what he was talking about since the station was new to me. He proceeded to tell me that I should have paid a toll in Kaituma and received a receipt to give him. I told him that I had not known of the arrangement, and asked where the collection point was. He told me that rather than making me go back, I could just pay him the $1000 ($5 US) and pass through this time. I wondered if I was being scammed, so I said I would go back (about a four mile trip each way). He said no, he would let me pass this time. So the next time I went to Kaituma, I stopped to pay my toll before leaving, and was told there was no charge for two-wheeled bikes.So I was surprised that another toll person seemed like he was trying to scam me, since I had been going on the road for so long, but I stopped, prepared to deal with his nonsense. When I backed up to the toll station, he asked me if I had any good news papers. He always enjoyed reading things about the bible, so I also left magazines with him. Both times I was expecting a problem, but got an opportunity to share magazines.While I was in Kaituma, I again tried to locate a couple of my old studies from four years ago. The area had changed a lot, but I went to a house that was close to where one of my studies had lived. I asked the man there, but I couldn’t even remember their name. I wasn’t able to locate them, but I had a nice discussion with the man at the house. At the next house the man was there, and we recognized each other. He was happy to see me. I shared a little teaching, and left him with some magazines, but then I had to get to my regular study. It just reminded me of the potential there in Kaituma. It will be interesting to see what kind of attendance they will get for the Memorial. It probably won’t be that many, since there won’t have been a lot of notice given there. We are planning on going there Tuesday to spend the day passing out invitations, but that will be rather short notice, not that most have a real busy schedule here.I have been working making some more seats for the Kingdom Hall here. We had ten six foot seats when I arrived. We had Doris’ husband make two more, so we had three rows of four. A while back I had bought enough wood to make six more. I had been letting it dry, but recently started making them. I have finished three, which we had for our meetings this weekend. We had been having to carry in some plain benches without backs for the Sunday meeting. I figured the three new seats would put an end to that, but I still had to use one, since we had 74 for the Public Talk. I will finish the other three before Thursday, plus we are going to build temporary benches all along the back wall. We really don’t know what to expect for attendance. Two years ago, when there was no Kingdom Hall, brothers came across from Barimita and held it in the Community Center and had about 180 come. Last year we were prepared for 200 by taking out the wall between the hall and our apartment (which was all open at the time), and we ended up with around 120.Today when I was talking with Mary Smith, she mentioned her nephew had told her that his Sunday School teacher at the Assembly of God Church, had shown them an invitation just like the ones Mary had been giving everyone. He said she told them this was a wonderful thing, and read some from the invitation. She then told them they all should plan to attend, and they all should get their parents to go with them. So if even the other churches are assisting with the invitation work, there is no telling what to expect. I think we will be able to seat close to 150, so we will see what happens.The work continues to increase here as our report for March indicates. Our five publishers placed one book, 4 brochures, 117 hours, 74 Return visits, and conducted 13 Bible studies. The three pioneers placed 13 book, 3 brochures, 382 hours, 211 magazines, 317 Return visits, and conducted 52 Bible studies. So we added six more Bible studies this month. Just as a side note, today I finished my time for the year, so when I return to the states, I will be able to work as much as possible to pay for our next stay (assuming there is work to be had when I get back).As proof that the work continues to grow here, this week’s picture is of the Service group Saturday. You can see we have a new addition, Letisha Scott. So now the Guyanese outnumber the whites, two to one. Nice!!!