Friday, January 15, 2010

The latest from the Ridge



Eugene is auxiliary pioneering this month (he has set a goal of at least 50 hours in the ministry). It has been nice to see him coming out on days when no one meets to preach and just going out on his own, his zeal and boldness are inspiring. Last month his wife Mary auxiliary pioneered and she put in 70 hours, which is the requirement to regular pioneer. I couldn’t help but wonder if she was ‘testing the waters’.

Yesterday (Wednesday) while I was in Kaituma for the study, I learned there had been a death on Monday in Matthew’s Ridge. I learned that it was the daughter of a man that has been studying with various ones here for some time, Watson. I had studied with him and then when I went back to the states last time, I gave the study to Andrew. Rather than switch him again when I returned, I just let Andrew continue the study. The ones in Kaituma said that the funeral was Wednesday. We laughed about how I had to go to Kaituma to learn what was happening in Matthew’s Ridge. I felt bad that I hadn’t known about it to offer my sympathies to Watson.

This morning, I was in that area and I asked someone about the funeral. I learned that it had not been held yet. They said they were waiting for her daughter to arrive from the states. Shortly after that, I saw Watson and I expressed my sorrow over his loss. He mentioned he was having a very hard time of it because the family was all divided over how things should be handled. He told me that the funeral was today at 1 PM.,so all of us from the Kingdom Hall went. Terri is studying with one of his daughters-in-law. Shortly after we arrived, Mary also came. She studies with Watson’s ‘wife’.

Once the service started, the woman who was leading the service thanked various ones from coming, including some who had journeyed up from Kaituma, and she also mentioned, “those from the Kingdom Hall.”. At one point in the service she invited any who wanted to share a few thoughts, which a few did. Then she asked if there were any others, and after a long pause, she asked if any from the Kingdom Hall cared to share a few thoughts. So I walked to the front and acknowledged that I didn’t personally know the woman, but rather I was there to offer comfort to Watson.

I mentioned that at a time like this, the best source of comfort was God’s Word. I then picked up her bible and shared 1 Thess. 4:13, focusing on both that we need not sorrow over much, as well as the fact that it likened death to sleep. I then shared Ecc. 9:5 to emphasize the condition of the dead. And finally I shared Jesus’ promise at John 5:28,29. Afterwards, Terri mentioned she liked the way I used the woman’s own bible, and she commented that I was the only one who had actually read from the bible. Hopefully a good witness was given.

I recently received word from the Fischers in Canada that they are ready to return to Guyana. They are only waiting on word from the branch as to where they would like them to go, so they can make the appropriate final preparations. So when I was in Kaituma Wednesday, I called the branch and passed that information on to the Branch Coordinator. Hopefully that will get a quick response and they can get back to work, and hopefully here in Matthew’s Ridge. I got the circuit Overseer to include a recommendation that the Fischers be directed to return to Matthew’s Ridge in his report to the branch.

Andrew had been planning on returning to the states in a few months for about six weeks. He told me he was thinking of going out in mid-April so he would be back before we go out. I mentioned that that would most likely mean that he would miss the next visit of the Circuit Overseer, (he had missed this last one due to meeting his father in Barbados, which had been set up before we knew of the dates for the visit) because he usually comes here after the Special assembly Day in Barimita, and that is scheduled for May 9th. We then got looking at the calendar, and between the Memorial and the two SAD programs, it seemed that if he was going, he would have to go soon. So now he will be leaving us on the 25th of this month.

On a nice note, there is a new air service that has started flights into Matthew’s Ridge. They will be scheduling flights on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Up until now, there has only been one flight service and they were charging $21,500GD each way. The new service will offer flights to ‘town for $12,000GD. As a result of the competition, the other service has lowered their rate to $14,000GD. Presently you can fly to ‘town for $6,000GD from Kaituma.

For this week’s pictures I’ve included one which shows road service here in the northwest. I took this picture on my way to Kaituma. Apparently, this tractor had engine trouble on the road, and they cut some trees to make this stand and then pulled the engine and took it for repairs. The other is showing how some things are the same everywhere. Here you see a bike group on the way to a meeting for service. (not really)