Thursday, March 25, 2010

Forced departure




A lot has happened since my last posting. I had traveled back to Matthew’s Ridge Friday, hoping that if I just took things easy and watched what I ate, things would come around. Shortly after I returned, I sat down with Aletha and Justina and told them that if I didn’t feel like I was getting better, I was going to have to travel back to the states, and if that happened, they would not be able to remain there by themselves in our apartment. I told them it wasn’t that I feared anything would happen, but I wasn’t going to have ones in the community talking about how all those young people were living together at the Kingdom Hall

I told them they had two options. They could either pay to reschedule their flight and fly out with us. Or, they could go with us to ‘town and I was sure the brothers at the branch would be able to arrange for them to serve with a congregation there until the time came for them to leave. I told them that I hoped that didn’t become necessary, but they needed to talk it over and decide what they would do. A little later they came to me and asked if they were able to find somewhere else to stay there at Matthew’s Ridge, could they stay even if we had to leave. They mentioned they were thinking of the place Sister Garner had been. I told them I didn’t see why that would be a problem, and they should check to see if the place was available. They did, and it was.

I was very concerned with how things would be handled if I had to leave, but realized that as they say, “No one is indispensable.” I decided the best thing would be to plan for the worst, so I sat down with the brothers and discussed how things would be handled if I were to have to leave. We decided who would be responsible for what and went over how certain things needed to be cared for.

Saturday night was a very difficult night for me. I was in extreme discomfort and the only relief was to force myself to vomit. I realized that that was not a sustainable solution, so Sunday morning I went to the internet café to check on flights out of Guyana. I found seats on a flight leaving Tuesday. However, the flight left at 7:30 in the morning, so that would mean leaving Matthew’s Ridge Monday morning. I didn’t feel I had a lot of choices, so I went ahead and booked the flight, and then went to the agent there in Matthew’s Ridge and booked seats to fly out Monday (I had checked with him before going to the internet café to see if there were open seats on Monday)

I did the Watchtower Study Sunday and afterwards, I felt I needed to let everyone know what was happening. I had meant to try and keep it positive and upbuilding, reassuring everyone that the brothers there would be able to continue to assist them. I had even taken my camera with me as I was thinking I could get a picture of the group to bring back with me. Unfortunately I didn’t do so well, getting all chocked up and teary eyed. And of course that got everyone else going. I had even thought I would say the concluding prayer so I could ask Jehovah to watch over the group while we were away. I realized that was out of the question.

Sunday evening I spent most of the time with the brothers, talking about the various things that might come up. I had learned Sunday afternoon that the wood I had ordered for the temporary seating for the Memorial still wasn’t cut (just now), so we decided that rather than undertake all the additional work needed to prepare the area under the Hall, we would once again use the Kingdom Hall. I mentioned that since last year, we had built several more benches, so this year there should be significantly more seating. I also mentioned that I would not be surprised that with Stephan and our leaving, there might be a drop in attendance (I hope I am proven wrong). And if people had to stand outside like last year, so be it.

We left the Ridge Monday morning and spent Monday at the branch. While I was there, I spoke with the brothers from the Branch Committee about my concerns for the group at the Ridge. I mentioned to them that Bro. Branch had said he was planning on visiting the Ridge after he did the Memorial in Kaituma. I asked the brothers how they felt about encouraging Kenneth to say in the Ridge, rather than return to ‘town. They said that that seemed very reasonable. I was able to get in touch with Kenneth in Kaituma, and I explained what was happening. He said he would be very willing to plan on serving in Matthew’s Ridge, which made my departure a little easier, knowing there would be an MTS Elder to help with the group.

So now Terri and I are back in Western New York. I am hoping to try and arrange some medical insurance before I start visiting doctors. I think I have a little ‘wiggle room’ since for whatever reason, since Sunday evening, my stomach has settled down some and I am able to eat a little, as long as I am very careful as to what it is I eat. I have arranged for Jonathan to feed me updates for the blog, so that will continue on. And as I see fit, I will update everyone as to how things are coming with us.

This week’s pictures include the picture I had wanted to take after the Watchtower Study, only it was taken after everyone had stopped crying. I also included one we took in the room at the branch Monday night before leaving. I was inspired by an infomercial I had watched on some miracle weight loss program.