Saturday, April 10, 2010

Rain - for better or worse



Monday I had another endoscope. While my stomach was much more empty, they still were unable to get the ‘scope through the pyloric valve. They were able to insert a balloon into the valve to try and force it open. After doing that, they were able to see a small tumor which they were able to biopsy. The results of the biopsy was that the tumor is malignant.

Because of what he had seen, and because the way I was looking, the doctor decided to have me admitted to the hospital that day. A NG tube was put in to keep my stomach empty to try to get it to start shrinking and a line was put into my arm to allow them to start ‘feeding’ me through my vein in an effort to build me up some before surgery.

My surgery is scheduled for Monday the 12th. There is a question as to whether the tumor is within the pyloric valve, or whether the tumor originates on the intestine side of the valve and is growing through the valve. They will not know until the surgery is performed. Hopefully they will find it is confined to the stomach and they will be able to remove the valve and a portion of my stomach.

I learned that Aletha has created her own blog page while in Guyana. If you are interested, the address is adventuresinpioneering.blogspot.com. Now here’s this week’s entry from Matthew’s Ridge

This week we saw a good amount of rain drop. It’s been very dry here lately, causing many to be short on water. Many in Matthews Ridge have had to walk some distance to fetch water for their families to use. There was one family I heard of that even moved their camp because the creek they lived near had dried up. And so it was nice to finally see at least a couple days of heavy showers. The upshot of that, though, is that the roads aren’t as easy to travel. I headed out Wednesday on motorbike for Port Kaituma, as one of us usually travels there, or at least makes the attempt to travel there, each week to conduct a Watchtower study. As you may already realize from reading the blog, Port Kaituma does not have a congregation or group, and so this weekly group study is an opportunity for any interested ones in that area to attend a Bible study. As I headed out I thought for sure that conditions looked good enough to make it all the way. About half an hour away there is a small spot that receives phone signal, and so I called one of the interested ones in Port Kaituma to see how conditions were there. She said it had been raining since 4:30 in the morning and hadn’t stopped since, and she thought the roads nearby Kaituma would be dangerous. And so I headed back to Ridge. While at this call spot, though, I had an opportunity to phone one of the publishers in the Matthews Ridge group who has been in Georgetown recently. His name is James Daniels, you may already know him from previous blog entries. I was glad to be able to gaff with him for a bit and find that things were well with him. Even though he is blind and in an unfamiliar place, I learned that he has been witnessing to many, placing literature with a number of people, and regularly attending the meetings. His fine example is always encouraging, and we look forward to seeing him here in Ridge again.

As an interesting point of culture here, this past Monday the holiday of Easter was celebrated by many here in Matthews Ridge in an interesting way. Cruiser loads full of people went down to the airstrip to fly kites. Apparently this is said to signify Jesus ascending into heaven after his resurrection. It was a day of celebration in the town, with loud music playing throughout the day and many all dressed up in their nicest clothes. It is interesting that although the details of the events vary, unscriptural customs associated with the holiday of Easter are found all over.

This past Thursday, we had a Kingdom Hall cleanup afternoon. Many were able to come and we were able to do a nice thorough cleaning in a fairly short time. We invited those who came to clean to stay for a while afterward to play cards and games at the hall. We played Bible pictionary, which was something hardly anyone had played before. After everyone got used to it, they seemed to really enjoy it. And so we had a nice afternoon cleaning together and enjoying the association.

I found particularly encouraging the comments of one of the men I studied with this week. His name is Mr. Gaskin. He is 81 years old. I study with him in an old shed in an area called the Yard. It’s an abandoned mining operation complex. I sometimes find it intimidating to study with individuals who are much older than myself and advanced in years and experience. I try to be very careful to respect their age and experience in life while at the same time helping them to learn truths from God’s Word. I found it really encouraging to hear Mr. Gaskin express how appreciative he is of our efforts to help him learn about Jehovah. He said he feels that you’re never too old to learn, and that when someone comes a long way to teach you about God, you must show appreciation for that. It is so encouraging to meet people who have genuine appreciation for Jehovah’s invitation to them.

The pictures included with this week’s entry are of Andrew and Eno in the garden above the hall and of the read and write class.