Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Personal Update

I have yet to receive an update from Jonathan and I know many regularly check for updates of the blog, so I have decided to post up the latest things with me, as well as a few things that I have heard from the Ridge. I expect soon to get another update from Jonathan and will post it up as soon as I can.

After much deliberation, I decided I would try the chemotherapy that the doctors were encouraging. The plan called for four treatments, one every other week. After the fourth treatment, they would do a new CT scan to evaluate the effect of the chemo. I had asked the doctor about doing some alternative treatments to try to assist the chemo, but his response was they didn’t recommend that as it just added more unknowns to the mix. After much study and prayer, I decided that I would do what I thought would be best for me. So I also have been taking a number of supplements to try to enhance my immune system.

Last Wednesday, I went in for my first treatment. The day before, I had gone for a new CT scan to provide a good baseline to compare with after the chemo. The doctor mentioned that my stomach has greatly shrunk, so the tumor was clearly visible, giving a good indication for future comparisons. I also had a mediport implanted to allow them to easily infuse the chemo treatments.

Wednesday’s treatment consisted of a two hour infusion of one drug and then they hooked up a small pump which would continue to infuse a small amount of a second drug over the next 46 hours. After which, a home health care worker would come to our house to disconnect the pump.
At first, everything seemed to be going well. I went home that evening and even ate supper. But then about 2:30 AM on Thursday, I woke up and vomited. I continued to vomit all day Thursday and on into Friday. They had given me a prescription for nausea, but it seemed to do no good. Finally, about noon on Friday, we were told to return to the hospital to allow them to evaluate my condition. Because I was so dehydrated from all the vomiting, they decided to readmit me, and I spent the next three days in the hospital. I think partly due to the fact that it was a weekend and not a lot happens on the weekend in a hospital.

One thing that concerned them was that some of my cardiac enzymes showed abnormalities, and they were concerned that I might have suffered a mild heart attack. Further tests indicated that that had not happened, but they discovered that my heart was not functioning completely normal. They seemed to think it may have been a reaction to one of the drugs that had been used for the chemo, so they were recommending that that drug be discontinued.

I spoke to the oncologist before leaving the hospital on Monday. He said that in view of what had happened, they were going to change the drugs they were using. The new regimen calls for a treatment once a week for two weeks, and then a week off, followed by another treatment. The new drugs will be infused over a five hour period, but there will be no pump to have to take home.

So now I am back home. I have been able to discontinue the anti-nausea medicine, and I haven’t vomited since coming home. However I have no real desire to eat anything, but I have been forcing myself to eat some, and it all stays down. Eating isn’t that critical since I also have a feeding tube through which I am able to get over 2000 calories a day. In fact, I have put on about 10-12 pounds from my lightest weight.

On another positive note, Sunday May 2nd, I had the privilege of giving the Public Talk at our Kingdom Hall. Another local brother had been scheduled to give the talk and he called me Friday evening to say he was thinking that if I would like to give the talk, he would be happy to let me. I had been thinking of speaking to the Talk Coordinator to see if there were any opening on the up coming schedule, but was concerned that I really couldn’t know how I would be feeling in the future. So when the brother offered me the chance now, while it was a little short notice, I felt confident that I was up to it. So I told him that if it was OK with the rest of the brothers, I would be happy to give the talk. I gave a new outline that I had given shortly before leaving Guyana, it was entitled, “Where can you turn in times of distress?”. I must say it had a little more meaning for me when I gave it this time.

Once again, I want to express my gratitude for all the expressions of concern and support we have received from all over, along with all the prayers I know are being offered. I recently received an email from a sister in Germany who has been keeping up with the blog. It truly is a blessing to be a part of a world-wide brotherhood, and it clearly demonstrates Jehovah’s love and support for his people.

Here’s a few things I can share from Matthew’s Ridge. A nice group went across to Baramita for the Special Assembly Day program. This time in only involved about an hour and a half walk, due to the continued work on the road. This week the circuit Overseer is at Matthew’s Ridge. I am sure that will be a real blessing for everyone, and he will be able to offer much encouragement and direction to the brothers serving there.

I continue to get phone calls from a study, Ivon, from Matthew’s Ridge. She and her man, Kiron, continue to make wonderful progress. She mentioned they have started a program of reading a chapter from the bible together each day. Kiron had been studying with Andrew twice a week, but recently Andrew told him that he already knew so much (he had been raised as a witness) that there was no need to study twice a week, so it was reduced to a weekly study.

I would ask that while I appreciate all the prayers that are being offered for me, you continue to have the work and the people at Matthew’s Ridge the main focus of your prayers.