Saturday, January 5, 2008

Check it out

We have had a bit of the rainy season lately. It started raining night before last and rained all through the day yesterday. Yesterday in the afternoon I was sitting in the house and thought I could hearing it raining out, but then realized I wasn’t hearing the rain hitting on the zinc roof. I opened the door and realized what I was hearing was water rushing in a stream by the house. I then understood why there is a bridge in the walkway to the house. I had never seen water flow there before. Of course the good news is that it has completely filled our two water tanks. That is important since this house is so much smaller than the other one, the roof doesn’t collect nearly as much water.
The last couple of days here I saw critters that I have never seen before in Guyana. The first were small armadillos, although they call them something else, and the other was what looked like a very large guinea pig with longer skinny legs. I guess that’s one of the benefits of living in a house that sits back in the bush.
Wednesday morning I was working with Alex and I stopped by a house I had used to study with a man at the first time I was here. I had tried a few times the last time I was here, but never could find him home. When I approached the house, his son was sitting outside and I asked him if his father was home and he said he was. So. I walked to the house and called out. I could hear some things being said, but couldn’t make it out, so I just waited. After a few more things were said the man came out and saw it was me. He told me to wait a minute, then went back in a put on a shirt and came down to talk with me.
I shared a few thoughts from the bible with him, and mentioned how I had always enjoyed our conversations in the past. I mentioned I was going to be here for a while, and offer to once again come by. He said that would be fine and we arranged for me to return Friday. Later in the day I was telling Graem about the call and he said Alex had told him about it. Alex had told him that when I had gotten to the house, someone had called in and told the man that Jehovah’s witnesses were there, to which he had responded, "Well they can just stand there!" I hadn’t been able to make that out. When I heard that, I started to wonder if he would be there when I went back, or if he was just to polite to say no to me.
So, today I returned, although a little later than I had said since I hadn’t caught a bus as soon as I’d hoped. But I got there and he was there and invited me up into the house. In all the time I had been going there before, he had always come out and we sat under the house. We had a nice discussion and set up for my next visit. He works security, so his schedule is always changing. But he figured his schedule next week and asked me to come Thursday.
Last Sunday I did the Watchtower and it was funny because I pretty well knew the names of all the locals. It was the white people that I had the problem with their names.