Saturday, February 23, 2008

An inconvenient truth?




This may be a bit short, although that will even out lasts week’s lengthy one. The weather here has been unusual. By now we should be getting nicely into dry season, but we continue to have spells of rain. I don’t know if we have had a completely cloudless day since we arrived, nor three dry days in a row. I have learned that since we left last May, there has been no dry season, and it is looking like this one may be missed as well.

One the one hand, it has been good for us as we never have to worry about the water level in the tanks, and it has never gotten unbearably hot. But it is having some negative effects on others here. The accepted method of farming here is to clear a section of bush at the start of dry season, burn it off, plant it, and then when the rains come it will grow good. But with no dry season, things don’t dry enough to burn off, so then there can’t be a planting. Also, many here still cook over wood fires, and they say that dry firewood is getting very hard to find.

If you remember, a few weeks back I had included a picture of a coffee tree with blossoms, immature beans, as well as ripe beans all on the same tree. I just figured that was the way the tree naturally grew. However I had mentioned it later to a man who grows coffee, and he said that it wasn’t suppose to be that way. Normally it cycles through all together. However, due to the unusual weather pattern, the tree can’t decide where it is in the cycle, so it is all the different stages simultaneously. Apparently just one more indication of the way man is ‘ruining the earth’.

Tuesday I had a chance to work with Christina in the ministry. As we were working together, I was asking her how it felt to be here as a ‘short timer’. She said it seemed very strange indeed. She mentioned that she wasn’t even going to try and start any bible studies, as she wouldn’t be here long enough to accomplish anything with them. The next house we went to, she had a really nice discussion with a young mother who mentioned that she had been raised Catholic, but wasn’t satisfied with what she was getting there, and was wanting to find a next church. She mentioned that they were having to move from the house they were in since its owners were returning, but explained where they were moving to. She then told Christina that she must come and visit her at her new location later in the week. So Christina pulled out a Require brochure, asked her which section interested her most, and said they would consider that when she returned.

Afterwards I was kidding her about not starting any studies, and she said that this way, she would have a study she could be taking a sister from here along on, and then turn it over to her when she left. So she really didn’t start a study, the study came looking for her.

Today (Saturday) I worked with Paul George in the ministry. He is the son of Elroy and Joyann Smith. I think he may be 12-13 years old. He had a simple presentation he was using with the Awake on crime. After a few doors, he was asking where the scripture was that said we need not fear those who can only kill the body. I said I wasn’t sure, but we could look in the concordance in the back of the bible. We looked under fear and found Luke 12:4. He added that to his presentation, but I could tell that wasn’t the one that he wanted. The next door he did, he instead turned to Mt. 10:28, and used that one. Between houses, I asked him how he had found that one. He told me he had used the cross reference from the one in Luke. It made me feel good to see him using his bible and fine tuning his presentation as we were going along.

I want to thank those of you who have dropped us emails. I apologize if I haven’t personally responded to all of you, but be assured they are very much appreciated. I have even gotten some from people whom I don’t know personally, but they have one way or another found their way to the site. Again, it makes me feel good to think that others are able to share in our experience, even if only through reading.our accounts. I also know the more people reading of our activities, means more people praying for the continued growth of the congregation here. Thanks.

Early this week Seeta and her daughter Channel came over so Terri could trim their hair. Her two youngest boys, Travez and Daniel also were with them. So tihis weeks pictures are the four of them, as well as a picture of a rather large flower at one of our studies.

We are well and safe, and hope the same is true for you.