Sunday, March 2, 2008

Passing the baton




I had intended to update the site yesterday, but we ended up not getting in until later last night. Saturday we usually have studies in Hosororo until 5:00, and then we come home. But yesterday I had gone by Solo’s after our last study. It is looking more and more like when we leave in April, there will be no one else here to help the congregation. So we have been directed by the branch to be preparing the brothers here to handle everything on their own.

The branch overseer had used a nice analogy with Joe. He had mentioned how when we were children, our mothers had always made our meals for us, and we were happy for that. But if something happened, and our mother ended up being away for a time, we didn’t just sit there and starve, rather we would figure out something that we could eat. It probably wasn’t as nice as what our mother would have made, but we certainly didn’t starve. So too, the congregation here had for a long time enjoyed being ‘fed’ by all the ones who came in, but if they aren’t here, the ones here will have to get by ‘feeding‘ themselves.

So we have divided up all the responsibilities between Compton, Alex, and Solo, and are working with them to help them learn to handle them. Solo will be scheduling the entire Thursday meeting, so I had been spending time with him explaining what factors to take into consideration when assigning the parts. I had gone down Friday after my last study and got started, and I had told him I would come by Saturday after Terri and I finished in Hosororo. He and I pretty well finished the next round of scheduling. We have set the schedule such that the first two weeks in April, all the meeting parts will be handled by the local brothers and sisters. Afterwards, they invited us to stay and eat with them. It was a nice treat. While Solo and I were working together, Golden (Solo’s wife) showed Terri how they made their own peanut butter by grinding peanuts in a coffee mill. It was excellent. They had made a jar full, and when they were finished Golden gave it to Terri. Another wonderful treat.

In keeping with training the brothers here to handle things on their own, Solo, Compton, and Alex have picked out talk outlines to be able to give the Public Talk. Today Alex gave the talk. You could tell he was quite nervous when he got to the hall. I asked him if he was OK, and he said, “No.” I assured him that he would do fine. I told him to just think of the bible account the talk was based on, make the account come alive, and then help the friends see the application that can be made in their lives. He did an outstanding job for his first talk.

I had been contacted by the branch early in the week. They asked if I would be willing to go and give the Memorial talk at Matthew’s Ridge. In the past, they had sent brothers over from Barimita to handle it, but right now there is only one elder in Barimita, so he will be doing it there. They mentioned they are trying to have the Memorial handled by elders throughout the country. I told them that I would be happy to go. So now I have to figure that trip out. I’m not sure if I will go alone, or if I will have Terri come. At this point it’s pretty well a matter of finances. I can’t just swing by the ATM and get a little extra funds. I’m looking forward to it though, because it will let me see how completed things are there, and what it will take if we were to return there when we come back.

At Thursday’s meeting, we had asked if there were any who were hoping to be baptized at the Special Assembly Day in April, to please let us know. Alaric Jessemy approached me and mentioned it was his desire to be baptized, and also Margaret Moses (what used to be John) said she was hoping to be ready as well. She went out in the ministry for the first time Saturday, so that might work out as well. I had gotten word from the Ridge that Doris also may be hoping to be baptized. So my going there for the memorial may also give me a chance to go over some of the questions for baptism with her, as there are no elders at the Ridge. So it looks like we will have to set up some kind of pool again this year.

While I had been talking to the branch, I had asked Bro. Hazel if he was going to be coming out to help with the SAD. He told me that rather than him coming, Bro. Hinds was doing the SADs this year. In fact, he mentioned that Bro. Hinds was getting ready to go the next day to Lethem to help with the program there. So that would have been finished either yesterday or today. I am looking forward to being able to spend some time with Bro. Hinds before we leave.

This week’s pics include one of Alex giving his first Public Talk, a picture of Compton preaching at a door, and I thought I’d include a recent one of Terri and me so you can see that we are not wasting away.

FYI, if you have heard any reports of dangers in Guyana, they are being very much exaggerated. A gunman walks into a crowed mall in the states and randomly starts killing people, or a student goes onto a campus and kills many, but you don’t see a travel alert being issued for the states. It is just that violence of that kind is very unusual here, so when something happens, everyone gets all worried.

We are safe, and happy for the privilege of being here. You are in our prayers.