Monday, December 22, 2008

C.O.


This is the first time that we have been here before the Christmas holiday. It feels very strange to us since there is hardly anything to remind you of that event. Obviously the weather is not what we are used to as the holiday approaches. Also we are not being bombarded with Christmas music everywhere we go. I understand a few of the shops have hung some lights, but I haven't seen that. I find it a real relief.

Speaking of weather, ours has changed. We are getting much more rain, as is to be expected since Dec. – Jan. is rainy season. The good news is it's not nearly so hot since the sun isn't shinning. The bad news is the mud, clothes don't dry very well, meeting attendance suffers, and it's harder walking through the bush trying to hold an umbrella. I'm also concerned how this will impact my Kaituma trips. Last time I went, it had rained before I left so the road was wet. Several times I would feel the bike slipping on the mud so I was taking it easy. But suddenly, before I knew what was happening, the back went out from under me and I was down. Fortunately, my bike has a number of guards on it, so nothing was damaged on the bike or rider except for a couple of the guards which were bent slightly. If a day comes when it is raining before I leave, I will probably take a bus there and back. But then you are at the mercy of the driver as to when you arrive and when you leave, in addition to the added expense ($6,000 GYD).

Sunday some from Kaituma came up on a bus for the Circuit Overseer's talk. I was also very happy to see my study Michael, the one who used to have to walk four hours, coming along with his woman, a couple of daughters-in-law, and a few small children. We ended up with 70 in attendance. I had hoped for more, but again, as I mentioned the rain tends to keep some away. When I was completing the service report for last month, I couldn't help but be impressed when I saw that between the three of our local publishers, two of which aren't yet baptized, they are conducting thirteen Bible studies. The Circuit Overseer was amazed at all the studies being conducted here (over fifty). As he said it, we are conducting studies with two congregations here (many of the congregations in the interior are about 25 publishers). I don't remember the early days of Mabaruma as being like that when it comes to the locals having studies.

Speaking of Mabaruma, we recently received word that Rasheeda is engaged to one of the special pioneers assigned there, Bro. Gomes. When Compton told me, I said, “That was quick”. He agreed. He mentioned that Rayburn had only recently mentioned to him that they were dating, and then about three days later, he told him they were engaged.

I had mentioned to some of the others here that one nice benefit of being in a small group like we have is that when the Circuit Overseer comes you get a lot of his attention. I asked him if he would help with the annual pioneer meeting and he said he would be happy to. I asked if his wife had had the meeting yet, and he said she hadn’t, so she joined us as well. After the meeting someone decided they wanted a picture, then everyone got their cameras, then someone suggested we set them on timed delay. That ended up being a project because every one worked a little different, so it took several attempts with several cameras before everyone had a picture. I am including the resulting shot.

Note from state-side web helper: There has been difficulty in getting emails through in the past, and therefore a December 2 entry was late getting posted to this blog, but is now there, hopefully in the proper order, according to email date.