Saturday, June 13, 2009

Final post (for now)
















I apologize for being a little slow in posting up another entry. Maybe subconsciously I’m just weaning myself, and you, from the weekly postings. I have been hoping I would get some news from Matthew’s Ridge that I could pass along, but I have yet to receive any correspondence from the people there. It may well be that rainy season has returned and is interfering with connection to the internet. I did receive word from Stephan’s mom that the Fischers had arrived as scheduled at Matthew’s Ridge.

When I got home, I emailed the brothers at the branch regarding our episode with the immigration official when we were leaving Guyana. The branch coordinator, Bro. Hinds is currently in the states and he emailed me and asked me to give him a call. We had a nice conversation, and he mentioned that everyone who was in his party when they were leaving Guyana, were leaving with expired visas, and nothing was said to anyone. He asked if they had stamped anything different in our passports, and I told him that the stamp looked the same as all the others. He was pleased to hear that, and he said I should not worry myself about not being able to get back into the country. But he mentioned that he would have the brothers at the branch look into the matter further.

Before we had left Guyana, we had made a list of things that we would like to get to bring back with us when we returned, and I have started gathering things together and checking them off the list. That helps me to keep my focus. It’s been almost three weeks since I have had any meetings parts. A brother asked me to take his part on next week’s service meeting, because he is going to be away.

I recently had an opportunity to talk to a brother from Texas whose daughter is making plans to come and serve in Guyana. He had expressed concern about personal safety in Guyana. I mentioned to him that I had never heard about anyone walking into a museum with a rifle and starting shooting, but that happens in this country. So I said that I thought Guyana was safer than the Holocaust Museum. Ironically, his daughter has a trip to the Holocaust Museum planned later this summer. We had a nice conversation about Guyana, and I think we will be seeing his daughter at Matthew’s Ridge shortly after we return. I mentioned to him what I mention to anyone interested in Guyana. The good news is that if you come, you will get to experience the ministry in a way that is hard to imagine. The bad news is that once you’ve experienced it, it makes preaching back here in the states that much harder.

Since this had been primarily to keep our friends up to date with us while we are away, I will not be posting up too often while we are back. If I hear of some outstanding events from Matthew’s Ridge, I will put that up, since I know there are many who read this more for the news from there, than for hearing about me. So you might want to check the blog every few weeks.

I can’t do a closing post without including a picture of a bug. Not just any old bug, but a very large bug. This was the largest one I saw while there. I am also including a couple of sets of before and after pictures from our apartment. It’s a credit to Terri that she didn’t just turn around a leave when she saw what we were coming into.