Wednesday, June 3, 2009

We're gone







We are currently sitting in the airport outside Georgetown waiting for our flight. We got into ‘town Friday. The flight in went fine other than a bit of delay due to heavy morning fog. Once we arrived, Gary met us and took us to take care of a few things in and around Georgetown. I went by the Jailing dealer and got a few parts for the bike. I bought a new chain to give to Gary Fischer to install when he got to the Ridge.

I also went to try to see about getting my phone looked at. The trackball that lets you navigate around on it has gotten so it only works in two directions, which makes using some of the programs/features impossible, although it still works as a phone and internet modem. I figured that I would try and see about getting it fixed here, since I knew back in the states they would tell me it’s cheaper just to replace it. But here in Guyana, they fix anything. When I told the technician the problem, he said he could install a new trackball for about $25 US. I was happy to hear that, and he said he could do it while I waited. After a bit, he came back and informed me that it wasn’t the trackball, but rather the main board. He said the phone is very sensitive to moisture, and at this point it would be cheaper to replace the phone than try to repair it. But at least it still works for what we need.

We stayed with a new family this time, the Sugdeos. The wife had actually left before we got there for a family wedding, the rest of the family went Saturday afternoon, so then we had the house to ourselves. Saturday evening, we walked through the neighborhood. We had heard there was a deaf couple that lived somewhere nearby. As we were almost back to the house, we saw a couple of white people, and it was the couple. It was a little strange, because the wife is hearing, and the husband had gone deaf after he had learned to talk, so it’s easy to forget he’s deaf, because he talks so well, you find yourself just answering back. We visited a bit and were invited back to dinner Sunday evening.

The brother asked me if I per chance I had a GPS receiver. I told him I did, and he was kind of excited because he had been working with a website that was building a public domain street map. He had been working with it in the Georgetown area, but said he would like to try to add the areas that I had been mapping in the Northwest. I gave him all my GPS files, and he started uploading them into the server. So now Matthew’s Ridge is entered into the files.

Sunday we went to the meetings at the Eccles Kingdom Hall. When I walked in, a few different brothers approached me to ask if I was giving the talk that morning. I told them not that I knew of. I mentioned to one of the brothers that if a speaker didn’t show up, I would be willing to give the talk. But about five minutes before the meeting started, I was informed that the speaker had arrived, so I could relax. So I got to sit through an entire meeting. And what’s more I got to do so in an air conditioned hall. It actually got a little chilly by the end of the meeting.

Monday we moved out things to the branch for our last day. I wouldn’t have bothered, but since our flight wasn’t leaving until the afternoon, we would be able to join the Bethel family for morning worship, and that is a special treat. About 10:30 AM, Gary stopped by with the new couple, the Fischers. We chatted a bit, but they were pretty toasted after flying through the night, so not having slept in about 28 hours. Gary took them to where they were staying so they could get a little sleep, but we agreed to get together later in the day. Early afternoon I called to where they were staying and spoke to their hosts. I mentioned that it would be important for Gary Fischer to bring his laptop with him when he came to the branch. The sister where they were staying asked why they were coming to the branch instead of us coming there. She said that way we could all have dinner together. That was agreed on.

About 2 PM, Terri and I went to their house. I sat with Gary, and Terri sat with Marion. We handed over a number of our studies to them, as well as tried to share what we thought would be helpful. I wanted to install the software on Gary’s computer that would allow him to connect to the internet through my phone. I followed the instructions as best I could, but couldn’t get the phone to work with the laptop. Fortunately, the son of the family they were staying with is quite computer literate, and he jumped in and was able to figure the problem, so before we left, he was able to get online with his computer. I left everything with him so hopefully they can set up Stephan’s computer as well.

So Tuesday was our departure from Guyana. It started off nice enough. We were able to attend morning worship and have breakfast with the ‘family’. I then took care of some last minute business like putting together a literature order and placing a deposit on our International Convention trip. Then about 11:30 Gary picked us up to take us to the airport. That is were things became more typical for Guyana. When we were going through immigrations, the agent pointed out that out visa was way expired. We explained that we had applied for an extension soon after we arrived, and still had gotten no response. His response was that if your visa expires, you have to leave the country. He then said that we had overstayed our visas on a number of visits. We mentioned that every time we had requested extensions, and pointed out that last year we had been granted one and obtained it. He was not satisfied with that and said that since we had showed no respect for the visa arrangement, he was going to put a block on our passports to prevent us from returning and overstaying again. We looked at our passports when we got them back and there was nothing to indicate that on the stamp we received, but I don’t know if he was able to enter something into their computer system. It is something that will need to be addressed as I have no desire to buy a ticket to Guyana, only to be denied entry upon arrival.

I started working on this entry at the airport there, but my battery was getting low. I found a place I could plug in my charger, but just as I was getting ready to do that, the power went out throughout the terminal, and my computer hibernated. As I mentioned, all in all it was a fitting departure from the country. So I have ended up finishing this back at JFK. But that is just as well since we have about six hours to kill before our final leg of the journey is completed. It was nice to get here and be able to arrange insurance for my car for licensing it tomorrow, as well as add time to our cell phone, all without any major hassles. I guess living in a technologically advanced society does have its advantages.

I am putting a couple of pictures up. I had actually meant to get a picture of us with the Fischers, but I got so caught up with trying to think of every thing else I wanted to go over with him, that I forgot the picture. So instead I am posting a picture of just them (obviously not taken in Guyana). I am also including a pictures of the new brothers, Andrew Roybal and Roland Rendon, Andrew is on the left. Just for good measure, I have included a picture of Terri trying to catch a little sleep while waiting for our next flight.
I will post up at least one more entry within the week, when we have had a chance to decompress a bit. Thanks again for your interest, support, and prayers. And oh yeah, you can go back to using our msn address for emailing.