Friday, December 25, 2009

From Jonathan





The following is a few thoughts that I, Jonathan Brewster, wanted to share. I had the privilege of working in the ministry in Guyana in September through November 2009. The experiences I had in those few short months really changed my perspective in many ways. Seeing the appreciation for the truth that so many there showed really helped me to better appreciate the great and incomparable effect that learning Jehovah’s ways has on people. Seeing how simple life can be, compared with the complexity and busyness of everyday life in more “developed” areas, certainly changed my perspective as to which things are really important, and which things are not. I can truly say that I felt more happiness, fulfillment, and contentment than I’ve ever felt in my life while serving in Guyana.

The area that I spent most of my time in during my visit to Guyana was Matthews Ridge. It took me a bit to adjust and to really get into the swing of things in such a different place than I was used to, but once I did, I can say with sincerity that I could not have felt more at home. The wonderful need-greaters I had the privilege of serving with there felt like my family, and to have the privilege of working with a group like that, so focused on Kingdom interests, was surely one the best and most cherished experiences of my life.

One of my favorite experiences while in Guyana was going to the Circuit Assembly in Baramita. As you may know from previous entries on this blog, it was a long journey, but it was such a great experience! There were about 25 local people that went, and about 30 in all. The program was translated into Carib, the local Amerindian language. Many that went said how much they enjoyed and benefited from hearing the program in their native language. One local woman that traveled with us on the 10-mile hike through the bush was in her 80s, yet she hiked right along with us and really enjoyed the program. Her example and attitude really encouraged me.

While serving in Guyana, I was helped to further appreciate that the truth just makes sense, and that even a person with a limited educational background who is honest-hearted can get a firm hold on the truth. I had the privilege of studying with multiple individuals who could not read, yet they got the sense of Bible principals, which had a very real effect on their life. Seeing this first-hand led me to a greater appreciation of the outstanding way Jehovah teaches those who want to know him, no matter what their background or how any human may view them.

The interest among the local people and the progress among those associated with the congregation made working there such a joyful experience. I was able to get to know many of these ones. There were a few in particular that especially encouraged me. Their love for Jehovah and their determination to live according to his standards, despite great obstacles and opposition, had a powerful effect on me. It really heightened my zeal to find more honest-hearted ones like these. I would highly recommend to anyone who has the opportunity the privilege of sharing in the ministry in an area like this where there is such a great need. I can confidently say that making the sacrifices needed in order to take advantage of serving is an area such as that, are so far outweighed by the blessings Jehovah gives, “a blessing until there is no more want.”