Thursday, December 31, 2009

More help



We are currently enjoying out visit from the Circuit Overseer and his wife. Our regularly assigned one was unable to come so we are again having Bro. & Sis. Alleyne. They were the last ones to serve us as well. They had come over after the Special Assembly Day in Barimita in May. They were supposed to arrive on Monday, but Monday’s flight was cancelled so they came on Tuesday.

Sister Garner had moved to the hotel Sunday afternoon in anticipation of the arrival of the CO and his wife. There is still much work to be done the place she is getting. Stephan and I went and painted there Tuesday evening, and we will probably do doing additional work to try and assist with the preparation.

Wednesday was an exciting day here. We were joined in the ministry by a new publisher, James Daniels. James is blind. He has been studying for about a year and a half. At one point he had become quite depressed due to his having become blind. He even questioned the point of living any more. I helped him to see that while his condition posed a challenge, he was still closer to being able to serve God fully than were many of the ones coming to the meeting, such as those who weren’t married and who would have a very hard time getting married. I encouraged him to start committing scriptures to memory so he could then recall them to share in the preaching.

At first it was very difficult for him, sometimes taking several weeks to get a new scripture firmly in his mind. But as time went on, he seemed to get better at it. He was able to get one of his last ones in place in less than two weeks. I had turned the study over to Andrew while I was back in the states, and he continued to work with the scriptures. When I returned, I went on his study and heard all the additional scriptures he had learned. I commended him and asked when he was going to start in the ministry. He said he needed to get some more teachings.

I asked Andrew if I could have the study back and have enjoyed seeing him progress. He has been regular at the meetings almost since he started studying, walking about a mile to the Kingdom Hall with the help of some who he lives with. I had asked him about commenting at the meetings and he told me that when there was a scripture he knows, I should call on him. It has been a little unnerving because I would ask, “Who can tell us what (a scripture he knows) says?” I would look at him and not be sure he was even paying attention, since we couldn’t make eye contact, but I would call on him and he would share the scripture.

A few weeks ago (just before we went out for the International Convention), I again asked him when he was going to be ready to join us in the ministry. He said I would have to tell him when he was ready. He mentioned though, that he was concerned since he didn’t have any long boots and he couldn’t see where he was walking and worrying about walking into mud. When I got back from the convention I again asked him about starting and he said I should tell him when. Sunday after the meeting, Stephan and I sat with him and went over the questions to see if he qualified for the ministry. Stephan was impressed with his ability to call scriptures in answer to the questions he was asked, Tuesday morning before his study, I bought him a new pair of boots and gave them to him and told him I would pick him up Wednesday morning to come out with us.

I had spoken to Eugene about working with him in the ministry since I was concerned that some might think it was a gimmick for the ‘white preacher’ to be leading around a blind man in the ministry. Eugene said he would be very happy to work with him. As it turned out, Bro. Alleyne also joined him and he said he was so happy to be able to accompany a new one on his first day preaching. Later I heard James tell several different ones he would see them tomorrow. When I took him home, I asked if he wanted to go out again tomorrow, and he said that if I would come get him he would be happy to come. He asked about clothes to wear and I told him that if he took the ones off that he had been wearing and put them up, they would be fine to wear again the next day. I asked how he had enjoyed the morning and he said it was wonderful and he felt very happy.

This morning (Thursday) I again picked him up and he worked with Eugene. Stephan, myself, and Bro. & Sis. Alleyne went on the bikes to Arakaka to preach. I wanted to let him see the area since I think that that is some place that I would like to give more attention in the future. When we got there, there was loud music playing by the police station where we have to check in. I started wondering if going there December 31st had been so wise. But later we were able to find many people home, whereas, in the past many houses were empty since the owners were in the ‘backdam’. But since it was the holidays, most people were at their homes. We had a nice time preaching there and Bro. Alleyne was very positive about trying to expand our ministry there.

I heard some disappointing news today. I was told that the internet cafĂ© was going to be closing today since it wasn’t generating enough income to justify staying open. I will have to learn more when I go tonight to send this out.

For this week’s pictures I have one of our new publisher with Eugene and myself, and one of the group getting ready to go to Arakaka.