Sunday, April 1, 2007

The latest


This is Ellis, he has been coming to the meetings since the very early days. He came to help us get ready for the Memorial today. He is planning on getting baptized at the upcoming SAD.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything up. Things have been a little busy around here with trying to cover all the territories with the Memorial invitations plus working up a new talk. I had given Andrew my list of talks that I have so he could make up a talk schedule. Well, he misread my list and so assigned me a talk which I hadn’t given. I told him rather than redo his schedule, I would just work up the talk. I gave it today, so that’s over. However I am also giving the Special Talk here, so I have two weeks to work up a next one. Such is life in Guyana.

We have also been working the last few days to try and get the hall ready for the Memorial. Yesterday we had a group here doing some cleaning, but also painting the outside of the hall and some areas inside as well. Today another group got together to finish the preparations. We gave the hall a through cleaning after the meeting, as well as painted some benches we use just for the Memorial, as well as rearrange everything inside the hall to accommodate additional people. We had put in a request for using a building that the education department has for the SAD, but that recently fell through. Will mentioned that after the SAD last year, the CO had said that they could have saved themselves a lot of work if they had just held the SAD at the Kingdom Hall. We have decided we will see what the Memorial attendance feels like and then decide if we need to try and make other arrangements for the SAD.

A regular of my posting has been our trips to Koborimo, of which we have had two since last report. Time before last, Joy Kissoon had expressed a desire to join us, so we had her meet us at the landing. She mentioned she was a little nervous, as it had been a number of years since she had been in a boat. But she assured us she could swim, so we told her she would be fine. The boat which we had taken for the last three weeks was sitting there, but I was a little concerned since when we had taken it with Joelle, it had sat pretty low in the water, and Joy is quite a large woman. We picked a next one to take, which had higher sides. I had noticed some water in it when we left, but gave it little thought. We paddled up without incident, with Joy just sitting in the middle. When we got out, I noticed much more water in the boat.

We had a nice morning in Kobarimo. We were handing out the Memorial invitations, so while I was at a house that I spoke with, Terri and Joy would offer the invitations to nearby houses, and when we got to a house that Terri usually spoke at, Terri and Joy would do it, while I offered invitations. As I was walking about, I kept my eyes open for something to use to bail the boat when we got back. I found a small container someone had dropped, so I put it in my pack.

When we got back to the landing, I was happy to see our boat still there waiting for us. I climbed in and bailed out the water and then Terri and Joy got in. At that point I saw that there was a pretty good leak in the boat, but I didn’t worry much as I knew we had paddled it up without incident. But I couldn’t help thinking what I would have thought if I had seen it leaking in shortly after we had started, knowing we had nothing to bail with.

Since my last writing, both Eliesha and Terri have developed all the classic symptoms of Dengue fever. Eliesha's was more like mine in that she was able to somewhat soldier on through her symptoms, while Terri’s pretty well had her out of commission. I mention this both as a way of explaining her ‘hammock neck’, as well as explaining the fact that this week she didn’t feel up to Koborimo. Joy had told me Thursday after the meeting that she wasn’t sure whether she was going or not as she wasn’t feeling so well. So Friday morning I wasn’t sure if I might be going alone for the first time. But Joy was waiting at the landing. I was also concerned since school is out now here, and I didn’t know if we would find a boat. It turned out there was a young boy who comes to the hall, Joel, who was going to go up the creek to fetch water, and he offered us to ride with him. I think he appreciated having two more paddlers. As we went up, I mentioned that I was concerned about how we would get back, since we hadn’t taken our own boat up. I then suggested to Joy that we work the area in such a way that we finished on the far side of the hill, and we could then walk across to Barabina. She said she had been thinking that as well as her aunt lived there and she was sick, so she wanted to visit her. So that is what we did. The only problem was that after walking across to Barabina, which took about half an hour, we were then almost to the end of Barabina, which is another half hour walk. But now I can say I have walked through the jungle from Kobarimo, to Barabina.

I guess I’ve rambled on about long enough, so I’ll close. Just to let everyone know, Terri is doing much better. She was able to go to a couple of studies Friday, and she went out with the group Saturday.