Saturday, March 24, 2007

Terri's day


A day out in service here in Mabaruma. I start with a bible study with a women who used to study years ago. Her name is Joan. Her 11 year old son is coming to all the meetings and doing well. She feels she needs to get back and be a better example. I enjoy her thoroughly. She works during the day at a beverage bar. We sit behind the counter doing our study. She serves alcohol among other things, pop, chips. I had mentioned to Jim I wonder how this will go, me behind the counter, and ones coming up 10:30 in the morning to buy high wine. I wonder if their conscience while be pricked. I think today it was because a man asked me if I could please get a bible for him. I will make sure to deliver it when he is sober! All in all it is very quite and we have real nice study.

On to my next study, an older women, Mrs. Abrams. I studied with her last time I was here. She kind of got lost in the shuffle because she is always traveling to different places. She seems to be settled for a while so I am taking full advantage of it. She pulls out two chairs and we sit under a huge mango tree. I enjoy her very much also. She is so quiet and it takes her forever to talk, so you have to be real patient. Today she told me her sixth child had died. The doctor said it was either her or the baby. They picked her. The baby was 12 pounds when born and seems it died while being born. The nurses said it was the most beautiful baby. She was in a coma for 4 day and could not even see him. He was buried before she woke up. I asked her if she named him. She said no. I asked her what she wants to name him, because he will need a name when he is resurrected. She said Ryan. I told her I love that name! It is my nephew’s. I told her to be prepared to hold a beautiful 12 pounds baby named Ryan soon! I told her I will have to come and visit her again in paradise so I could see him she smiled and said yes you will have to do that.

Next I went to meet Seeta, a sister, we work together every Wednesday evening. I meet her at the school where she works. The guard there is real nice and I give him mags. Today he had all these questions for me. We talked for about 45 min. I felt bad because Seeta was waiting for me she finally came out and met me and talked with us. He said he was involved with the Church of Christ for a while and loved the minister there. But I thought it strange he still had all of these unanswered bible questions. He said they were so nice though, they have him money sometimes and other things. I said yes but it concerns me you still seem spiritually dissatisfied. He agreed. He proceeded to show us a book that was given him, with just bible books John and Romans. He said he did not have a whole bible. Lo and behold I had a brand new one in my service bag. Seeta said the look on his face was shock. He seemed so grateful. I also read Acts to him, about the Ethiopian eunuch, how he needed someone to teach him, so we do also. So I made a date Friday to bring Jim back. Hopefully he will now truly get satisfied.

On to my next study with Seeta, a long walk up a steep hill. She is a young mom separated from her husband. She also used to study. We were late because of the conversation with the guard. She was driving down the hill in her dad’s van going to collect water. She waved us on to go wait for her. We waited 45 minutes, then decided we should go. It was a nice 45 minutes Seeta and I pulled up a car seat that was on the lawn and sat with a wonderful breeze just gaffing (means talking). We bumped into her walking back down the hill. She said sorry next week. I told her I had the book I wanted to give her, Learn From the Great Teacher, for her children. She eagerly took it and smiled, so did her son. What a wonderful book to help her to raise her young ones.

Well now it is 5:30 we are headed home. We part and as we do I see an old return visit. I stop to gaff with her. She proceeds to tell me she was real sick last year with hemorrhaging and she lost a lot of weight. The doctors could not help her here so she flew to ‘town. They could not help her there either. Her mom took her to her church, and they prayed over her. She said she vomited out water! She said it was a water demon! That is what the preacher told her. He felt someone put a curse on her, that is why she was sick. She is better now! I believe her there is a lot of demonism here, and you hear weird things like that all the time. I told her I would be back and we will talk more about this! I read her the scripture in Pro. 18:10 about Jehovah’s name being a strong tower, but told her she needs to be doing what Jehovah requires in order to get protection from him. I finally reached home around 6:30. it was a great day!

Anyway I thought you would like to hear a day out in service here in Mabaruma.

Oh yeah you may also see one of these when you are out in service here in Mabaruma!