Saturday, March 3, 2007

Two months down, two to go

In the interest of giving equal airtime to our visitors, I thought I’d post up this picture. Between the heat, the hills, and the distance between studies, the bikes can be life savers.

Monday, Richard, Joelle, and I went on the river. We went and finished up the territory I had started when we went to Hotoquoi. We had an uneventful day other than we ended up driving way up a creek we came to without finding any houses. Just about the time I would convince myself we might as well turn around, I would see where someone had cut off a branch that was sticking out into the creek, which would make me think someone must live beyond that since the brush was being cleared. Richard later mentioned he was getting a little nervous at the thought of something going wrong, and us being way out in the middle of nowhere. In the future, when I see a creek like that, I will past it by, and ask at the next house we come to if there are any houses on it, and if so, I will double back and do it. As it was, when I asked at the next house, they told me no one lived on that creek.

Friday, Terri, Joelle, and I paddled up to Kobarimo. It started out a little shaky. We all got into a canoe that looked very wide and flat, but when we were in, we were only out of the water about an inch and a half, and I didn’t think that looked so good. So we got out of that one, and into a next one, which gave us about three inches to work with, and set off. It was a bit of a disappointing day, as a couple of our better studies weren’t there. Maybe because we returned to the landing a little earlier, but for the first time, the canoe we paddled up in was still there, so we were able to return in it. I actually found myself feeling fairly comfortable paddling this week.

Today we had over thirty at our meeting for service. We covered two of our territories, which when you consider we only have twelve that are close in enough to reach easily, is quite remarkable. We also started trying something new today. Since we are covering the territories so frequently, and since we have been directed to not leave Memorial invitations at not-at-homes. We have decided to try and map out every house in our territories, so we can devise a numbering system so we can begin to keep track of not-at homes, and make the effort to reach them. It will in effect gives us more territory to work.