Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Dengue!!


I thought I’d post up the group shot from the airstrip this morning as the Finches were leaving. The next time we will be doing this is in three weeks. At that point Mitch and Wendy will be leaving.

The diagnosis is official for my recent malady. I went to the hospital and saw the doctor. After listing all my symptoms in their order of appearance, he said it was a ‘classic case’ of Dengue Fever. I had already reached the same conclusion based on our ‘Where There Is No Doctor’ handbook. The clincher was the rash I developed on my feet and lower legs. He said there was a good number of cases in Mabaruma now. He mentioned many of the hospitals in Georgetown are quite full of children suffering from Dengue.

It is caused by a virus transmitted by mosquitoes. Since it’s viral, there is really nothing that can be done as far as treatment. But I am feeling much better as of late.