Sunday, March 11, 2007

They're coming home

It’s hard to believe, but in just a couple of days, and the Finches will be gone. Richard gave the talk here today, so that was a nice treat. This last Friday, I went to Kobarimo with a new first mate. Richard and I paddled up together. I was a little concerned at first as to whether my dry streak was going to come to an end, but not to worry. I had selected what I felt was one of the most suitable boats to take, and I was working my way into the back of it when a woman who was watching said that she felt we would do better with a next one. The one she suggested was the one we had paddled last week. I was a bit apprehensive, since I knew how low in the water it rode. But we got in that one and paddled off.

It was the most disappointing trip I had taken to Kobarimo. Not a single of the ones I had been having good calls with was there. I told Richard that if I had a few more times like that, I would have to seriously reconsider going there every Friday. The good part of being there for such a short time, was when we got back to the landing, the canoe was still there waiting for us,

Because we got done so quickly, we were able to catch up to Terri and the girls who had gone to visit Hosororo Falls. It’s really more a cataract than a falls, but the water flowing over it is coming out of the hills, so it’s relatively clear.

I am still not feeling all that well. First there was the headache, then there were several days of fever. I don’t know if it’s a different strain of fever than I accustom to, or if it’s just a matter of having a fever in the tropics, but any fever I’ve ever had, I would end up with very bad chills, which is how I knew I was running a fever. Here, I felt more like Moses when he came down the mountain after receiving the Ten Commandments. His face was radiating light. Well, I felt that way, but my face was radiating heat. I never got the chills, I just felt like I was radiating heat. Then I got quite achey. I think I am getting better, the fever has resided and the headache is gone.

Terri insists what I need to do is just take a few days to stay in and do nothing but rest, but I have been trying to keep up my regular schedule. Walking 4-8 miles a day is rather wearing even on a healthy body.