Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Malaria?


Just to put your minds at ease, Terri is fine, it's just the Finches will be leaving soon, so I thought I post up pictures of all of them before they leave.

While Terri has been doing fine, I actually haven't been feeling all that well recently. I started getting a nasty headache, and then yesterday, Terri felt my forehead and informed me that I was burning up. I tried to tell her it was just due to the fact that I had spent the morning and early afternoon walking in the hot sun. She insisted that I had a major fever. Unfortunately, we don't have a thermometer in the house, so there was no way of checking my actual temperature. We have a pretty good first aid kit, complete with a profession type stethoscope, so if anyone develops a heart murmur, we could probably diagnose it, assuming of course there was someone who knew how to use it, but we have no way to check ones temperature, and there is no place here to buy one. I think I will ask the Finches to see if they can get one when they get back to Georgetown and then leave it at the branch so it can be sent out with our next shipment of magazines or literature.

For those of you who may not know, a wicked headache and fever are symptoms of malaria. So just to play it safe, I went to the malaria clinic had had a 'smear' taken, but it came back negative. I was pretty sure I didn't have it, because as one of the locals always says, if you 'think' you have malaria, you don't have it, because when you have it, you know you have it. I even used that point in the Memorial talk I gave two years ago in Kaituma to help explain how one would know they were part of those chosen to go to heaven, if you wonder, you aren't one, because if you were, you would know.

When I had been at one of my studies Sunday, he mentioned that someone had come to him with a canoe to sell. I had asked him to keep his eyes and ears open back when we first decided we wanted to try to go to Kobarimo regularly. He said that he would try to get the canoe brought to his house so I could check it out. This morning a young girl stopped at the house on her way to school with a note telling me the canoe was there, so later in the morning, Terri and I went out to check it out. It actually was a bigger one than I had been expecting. We got in it and there was close to six inches of boat above water. We paddled it around for a bit, but as I mentioned to Terri, we have always been able to get to Kobarimo without owning a canoe of our own, so I didn't know why at this point, I wanted to buy one.
Our efforts to map out every house in the territories seem to be going fairly well. So for the first time, we have been going back through the territory working on not-at-homes. Once I feel confident that we have all the houses located, then we will devise a system of numbers, so that eventually the friends will be able to keep track of not-at-homes on the regular house-to-house record, and then turn them in to be worked at another time, like when the groups go out Monday and Friday evenings.