Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Alone again


The weather here continues to improve, so much so that I decided to take my bike to Kaituma this last Wednesday. The road was fairly dry on the way there, but it is very rough. The big trucks have chunks of mud stick on their tires and so it leaves the road full of holes. When I reached Kaituma, I called Brother Baxter to see if they had come up as they had talked about. He answered his phone and said he was still in Kumaka, but three brothers had left for Kaituma. He mentioned they had gotten a late start and had left at 9:30. I made a few return visits after letting those who usually attend the study know that I was there. I also discussed our plans to have a couple of brothers come Saturday to give a talk and do the Watchtower. I asked what they thought would be the best time for the meeting. It was decided since many do their shopping Saturday morning, it would be best to hold the meeting at 1:00 PMI waited around by the waterfront until it was about time to go back for the study. I tried calling one of the brothers who was coming and they were close enough to Kaituma that he was getting cell service. I told him that I was going to be going to the study, but they could start preaching and when I was finished, I would call him to see where they were. I mentioned to him abut the talk Saturday, told him the title as well as the time and location, and encouraged them to invite everyone they talked to to come.During the study, it started to rain fairly hard. Just about the time the study was ending, my phone rang and it was the brother calling to see where I was. I told him I was just about finished and then I would catch up to them. He asked me where I was and I told him I was at ‘the floor’. He said that was where they were headed, so I could just wait there. After the study it was raining again, so I went to a nearby shop and talked to a woman there. I didn’t see them coming and then they phoned again to say they were stuck from the rain as they didn’t walk with umbrellas. It finally stopped raining and I was able to meet up with them for a short time. It was Rayburn Gomes, Shane Anthony, and Elroy Smith. The ride home on the bike was a challenge because of all the rain. The roadway was very wet, and therefore very slippery. I couldn’t go very fast at all, so it took me three hours to get home. The last half hour was in the dark, which made it that much more difficult, since everything looks different in the headlight.Saturday, Sherwin, Krystal, and Jared took a bus to Kaituma. They made calls in the morning and then went by Caroline’s shop and Jared gave a talk and Sherwin did the Watchtower. There were 15 in attendance. It was nice to hear that Sherwin’s sister came. She has never come to a study when I’ve been there. Afterwards, Sherwin stayed in Kaituma, from which he’s going on to Mabaruma, and Krystal and Jared took the bus back to Matthew’s Ridge. Jared mentioned that Sherwin asked him if he should just get back on the bus and come back with them. I think with a little encouragement he probably would have.Last week when I went out to try and do emails, I got hung up in some muddy ruts, and then shortly afterwards, I noticed I was getting a flat front tire. But this time I was carrying a tire pump, so I would pump up the tire then drive about ½ a mile and stop and pump up again. It was time consuming, but much better than trying to push it home.Stephan returned on Thursday. I asked him how the boat ride had been and he said it wasn’t that bad. I asked if that meant he hadn’t gotten seasick, and he said, “Well, I’m not saying that, but I took the medicine before I left so it wasn’t so bad.” I asked him if that meant he hadn’t thrown up, and he said, “Not exactly”. But he said he would definitely do it again. So now he has a bike as well. I think this week we will drive to Fallstop. It’s about halfway to Kaituma, and hasn’t been worked other than the shops right by the road.Krysal and Jared left Monday morning. Krystal had been here two months so she leaves quite a void behind. The place seems different with her gone. On a positive note, I was able to finally finish the little dresser I had made in guest room once she was gone. It has three drawers, and I had only completed two before she arrived. So whoever comes next will have a completed dresser to use. As of now, there are no arrangements for a next visitor, but as Krystal showed, that can change quickly (although not so quickly due to the limited communication from here).Speaking of positive notes; Saturday at the Service Meeting it was announced that we have a new Ministerial Servant, Stephan Johnsen. I mentioned to him that he is one step closer to his goal (to attend Ministerial Training School). He smiled and said, “The clock is ticking!” (You need to have served as a Ministerial Servant two years before you can apply to MTS,)On a less than positive note; I had checked with the branch to see why we have not received any literature that has been ordered, or any magazines coming directly to Matthew’s Ridge. Everything we have gotten has either been sent over from Barimita or had originally been marked for Port Kaituma. I was told that we still hadn’t been issued a congregation number, so no orders can be processed. That may create a bit of a bind, since we are starting a new book in the Congregation Bible Study soon, and many here don’t have that book, since it’s new this year. But I’m sure something will work out.This week’s picture is of the meeting in Port Kaituma.