Sunday, February 15, 2009

Falls Top


As I had mentioned in my last post, for our first bike trip to the out-lying areas, we went to Falls Top. It gets its name from a series of rapids that are in a river that runs by it, and it is at the top of the rapids, so there actually are no falls. It was nice to each have a bike to travel on. We spent about six hours there and visited about twenty five houses. We had some very nice discussions there. At a government office overseeing mining operations in the region, I met a young man. I asked him where he was from, since most government workers are not from the area. He said he was from Piscataway, New Jersey. It turned out he was born in Guyana, but had lived for several years in New Jersey before returning to Guyana.I explained that we were there trying to help people learn more about the bible and God. I mentioned that one of the first steps in getting to know someone was learning their name, which he readily agreed to. So I asked him what God’s name was. He said, “God.” I explained that wasn’t a name, rather, was a title, much like he could be called man. I asked him if he was with a group of men and I just called out, “Man, hey, man.” Would he know who I was calling for. He said, “No.” I then explained that the bible says there are many gods, in fact, Satan is referred to as a god. So I said if we just were to cry out, “Oh God, help me.” How would God know who we were calling for. I told him the bible reveals his name, and showed him Ps. 83:18. He was impressed to learn that God had a name. I ended up placing a Bible Teach book with him, and since I pass right by on my way to Kaituma, I told him to start reading it, and I would come to see if he had any questions.After speaking with him, we went to a nearby shop and spoke to the shopkeeper. Since it seemed that many we had spoken to in the area didn’t know God’s name, I used a similar approach. While we were talking, the young man I had spoken to earlier came in. The shopkeeper was trying to say that God didn’t need a name since he was God. The young man jumped in and started reasoning with him that a name was needed since there were a number of god’s. And then he used the example of a man standing with a group of men, and the importance of knowing the man’s name. It was nice to see him using what he had just learned. I ended up meeting about four individuals I intend to stop back on when I travel to Kaituma. I also am going to speak to Caroline, since I’m sure that if she were to tell me that she was planning a trip to Matthew’s Ridge to come to the meeting, a number in Falls Top would be happy to be able to join the group. Tuesday I had walked out to call on a woman that Sherwin had started a study with. I told her I had come because Sherwin was gone now, but I would be happy to continue her study. I said I knew she wasn’t expecting me (in fact she had visitors), but I just want to set up a time to come back. She said, “Whenever you come is fine.” I said that wasn’t fair to her, rather we should agree on a day and time so she would be able to plan. We set up Thursday at 2 PM. So Thursday Terri and I went and had a nice study. It was nice to hear her ask some questions, prefacing them with the phrase, “I used to think –whatever--, but after speaking to Sherwin, I think that maybe that’s not right.” It showed that she thought about what she was being show, and was drawing proper conclusions about it.Saturday Stephan mentioned to me about a man they had met in service that afternoon who said that Sherwin had spoken to him and offered him a bible study, and when he had expressed interest, Sherwin had said he’d have someone get back to him. I told him since Eugene had been with him, I’d talk to Eugene about it when I had his study Sunday. Sunday at the study, Eugene mentioned it before I had a chance to ask him. I suggested that we walk over to the man’s house after the study so he could show me the way, and also so he could be there when arrangements were made, as I would like him to be able to go with me on the study. So we walked over and spoke to the man and arranged to return Tuesday afternoon. So between Sherwin and Krystal, I think I have picked up four more studies. The weather continues to improve. In fact, a few days ago when I was walking out to a study, a cruiser past me and I had to deal with dust. I’m hoping that this week’s trip to Kaituma will be problem free, since I want to be able to spend some time in Falls Top on my way back. However since it is full moon, we may end up with, as the locals call it, ‘rain from the moon’. We had in fact, gotten a fair amount of rain today (Monday), but I spoke to a driver of a bus this afternoon and he said it didn’t really affect the road.I had seen a great picture when we were working in Falls Top on Wednesday. Stephan was preaching to a whole group of women and children at a thatched-roof hut. But my camera was in my backpack, and there was no way I could get it out and discreetly get the picture. So instead I will include one I had spoken of earlier. I took it one morning on my way out to send and receive emails. It is a giant web covering the bushes along the way. I wonder what it is that could have made such a web.