Friday, January 19, 2007

A few thoughts

So far, I’ve only been writing to share various events as we have experienced them. I thought I’d take a little time to share some of our early overall impressions, seeing as we were here three years ago.

The Kingdom Hall itself has changed since we were here. It has again been enlarged, plus some additional windows were installed at the one end, which certainly helps with airflow. A nice literature counter and library area has been added. In addition, they now have a sound system installed which is very helpful, not only due to the increase in size, but also since many of the local friends speak very softly when they comment. As more of the local friends continue to grow in their knowledge and experience, the meetings have also taken on a more meaningful feel. I have been very impressed with some of the comments I’ve heard at the various meting. A comment given at the Watchtower study which includes a cited scripture, with the main part of the scripture quoted, and an application of the scripture given.

The preaching work has also changed. When we were here three years ago, many were hearing the bible taught for the first time, and they always took time and expressed appreciation for our coming. But now there are around 25 regularly sharing in the preaching work, and some of the nearby territories are being covered about once a month, so most have heard from witnesses several times. Studies are harder to start. But the people here still show real respect for the bible, which is so refreshing.

Brother Baxter (the first local brother to be baptized here) is auxiliary pioneering this month for the first time, so it has been nice having him out with us almost every day. It’s nice to be able to go to a door with him and hear how a local presents the good news to another local. Sometimes I have a little trouble understanding what they are saying between themselves, but I usually can follow.

Since we were here, the yard all the way around the Kingdom Hall has been fenced off, so there are no more marauding herds of goats or cows passing through and eating off whatever catches their fancy. The banana trees that I had planted when I was here, only to see them eaten off twice, are finally taking off. One has some fruit on it that I expect to get ripe while we are here. One of the coconut trees that I planted is now taller than I am. I may try to get my hands on some citrus trees to plant while I am here this time. I am especially fond of what the locals call donsi (sp?). I think they are like what we know as clementines. I was disappointed when I couldn’t find them in Port Kaituma when we were there, but this is now season, and they are quite plentiful. Hopefully the price may come down. I think I remember them as 10 for $100, but now they are 5 for $100 (fifty cents). All-in-all, we are glad to be back here and looking forward to being able to assist the young congregation to continue to grow and make spiritual progress, to Jehovah’s glory.