Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Terri learns to drive

Since we got there, Terri has been teasing me to teach her to drive the dirt bikes, so this afternoon I took her up to the airstip to start to teach her. I chose the airstrip for a number of reasons, it's flat, wide, and there is no traffic. She had the expected mishaps, like popping it into gear and forgetting to squeeze the clutch, so it would lurch and stall. Or letting the clutch out too fast and stalling. But she started to get the hang of it. Then I had her doing circles and figure eights. I finally sent her out on the road and I started walking home. She went a ways and the turned and came back. She found it much more difficult turning on the road, which is not much more than a one lane. She then went on home past the house and turned around at the junction. She reported that she had stalled the bike there, but had been able to get it started and bring it back by herself, so I think she will get it eventually. But it will be a while before I will get on behind her.

We saw the monkeys again today by the house. There is a tree near the house which has some kind of small round fruits on it and they were busily picking and eating them. We were able to watch them only about 30 feet away. It was nice.

Today we visited Natasha and she said she would like to have a personal study. She had been doing real well when we were here the first time, but since then has taken up with a man and has two small children. She said she knew what she had done was wrong, but knew there were others in the bible who had done worse and had been forgiven by Jehovah, so she is sure that he will forgive her if she can get herself right again. It was nice to hear her reasoning. We will have to see how that develops, as Joe and christina said she had asked once before but then never followed through.

All the bugs here seem to be enjoying fresh blood. I have many bites which itch fiercely, but I am getting them during the day, so I'm not worried they are mosquitos, so I'm not worried about malaria. But that doesn't help with the itch.

I'm still not ready to try and post pictures yet, but I soon. I got some pictures of Terri out in the yard trying to chop the grass with a cutlass, plus I got some of the monkeys. I hope you can tell which are which.

We are well and hope all are the same