Monday, January 8, 2007

Just like I remembered

Saturday the congregation had a special service day to to a couple of small settlements beyond Wauna, which is the farthest Terri or I had ever been out. In fact the last time we went there, the bus we had made arrangements to bring us back, had left early and we had had to walk about five miles back to Hosororo to get a bus home. This time the congregation had arranged the travel. So many showed up to go (24) that we took the two dirt bikes as well to lessen the crowd in the bus. I road on the back of the bike Joe was driving. When we had gotten most of the way to Wauna, Joe stopped and said the bike was riding funny. We checked and the back tire was very soft. We had nothing to repair it with, so he said get on and let’s see how far we can get. We had only gone a few hundred yards when it was riding on the rim, so we had to get off and push it the rest of the way into Wauna. It was probably ½ mile, the last 1/8 mile being uphill. Then we had to walk on to where the group had met. It was quite a workout in the heat.
The group went preaching while Joe went back to see about repairing the tire. We had a nice morning preaching, and then met up for the ride back. Joe was worried about the tire, and thought it best to ride back single, so I joined the 20 in the bus (read that mini-van). As we were traveling back, the bus had a rather steep hill it had to climb. About halfway up, I heard a loud snap, and the bus stopped moving. I told everyone, "That’s it the ride is over." Sure enough, the universal had snapped on the driveshaft and the bus could go no more. At that point we had no choice but to all start walking back. It was a couple of miles to the normal end of the bus route, but rather than just sit there waiting for the next bus, we kept walking. By the time the first bus came along, it was so full that some had to keep walking. I probably walked about four miles before a bus came that I could fit into.

Later that night, the others in the house were very apologetic about how the day had gone. I said I didn’t know what the big deal was, it was just the way I remembered it. I said I found it comforting to know that some things never change. We remarked at how all the small children who had gone, some around the age of 7 or 8 had all walked back without whining or complaining. In fact the group out in the front had three of the small boys in it. Of course, the children are used to walking to school in the morning, walking home for lunch, back to school, and then home again at the end of the day.

Sunday I gave the talk and we had 53 in attendance. I had gone over my outline and removed a fair amount, since I remember you can’t talk fast, and you have to explain things more. As it was, I could see there was no way I was going to get through it all, so I figured out how far I could jump ahead, and still have it be somewhat coherent. It’s going take some getting used to again, but I’m sure I’ll get the hang of it.

I have been here four days now and have not gotten any sunburn except for the top of my head, since Terri gave me a very short haircut. I really feel very white here still. I have driven the dirt bikes a couple of times to Kumaka. It's the first time I have driven bike in over ten years, but as they say, "It's just like riding a bike, you don't forget it." Terri is teasing me to take her out and get her checked out on driving them.

I had my first night of washing dishes Sunday night, which is why I didn't do any posting last night. I see I ended up with a double post the time before. Sorry about that. Everyone is waiting for me to show pictures from Belize, so I will post this and close now.

We are fine and hope the same for you